Harrisburg, PA – The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) and the Department of Community and Economic Development (DCED) will host a webcast outlining the steps taken to continue the progression of Automated Vehicles (AV) innovation, highlighting safety measures and economic impact potential statewide.
"Highly automated vehicle technology promises to radically change the transportation landscape," said PennDOT Secretary Leslie S. Richards. "We want to update Pennsylvanians on how these vehicles are developing here and how we're working on the safe, efficient development of this transportation revolution."
"Automated vehicles represent not just a massive leap forward for transportation, but also a significant driver of economic development," said DCED Secretary Dennis Davin. "Together with PennDOT and other state agencies, we are developing policy to foster this innovation and enable it to thrive for the safety and economic well-being of Pennsylvania and our residents."
The "Connected and Automated Vehicles in Pennsylvania" webcast will take place on February 1 from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at this link: http://pacast.com/players/live_penndot.asp.
The public is invited to watch the webcast and hear from some of the subject-matter experts working to make Pennsylvania a leader in both the testing and eventual deployment of HAVs, with an analysis of the resulting potential for economic growth and job creation. The public will be invited to ask questions of the panelists who are as follows:
- Kurt Myers, Deputy PennDOT Secretary for Driver and Vehicle Services and Pennsylvania Autonomous Vehicle Task Force Co-chair;
- Roger Cohen, PennDOT Policy Director and Pennsylvania Autonomous Vehicle Task force Co-chair;
- Steve D'Ettorre, DCED Policy Director and Pennsylvania Autonomous Vehicle Task Force Member;
- Jason Sharp, PennDOT Acting Executive Deputy Chief Counsel;
- Kara Templeton, PennDOT Director, Bureau of Driver Licensing; and
- Mark Kopko, PennDOT Senior Civil Engineer, Traffic Operations Planning.
For more information on automated vehicles in Pennsylvania or the Autonomous Vehicle Policy Task Force, visit www.penndot.gov.
MEDIA CONTACTS: Jan Huzvar, PennDOT, 717-783-8800
Michael Gerber, DCED, 717-783-1132
# # #