Old Street Road over SEPTA Bridge Replacement
PennDOT proposes replacing the existing bridge that carries Old Street Road over SEPTA’s West Trenton Line in Bensalem Township, Bucks County. The current structure is a 3-span bridge constructed in 1916 and is in poor condition and posted with a 31-ton (except a combination of 40 tons) weight restriction. The project limits extend from the intersection of SR 0132 to just south of Brownsville Road.
To address the deteriorated condition of the structure, the following work is proposed:
- Removal and replacement of the existing structure with a new, single-span bridge.
- The roadway grade will be raised slightly to improve the vertical clearance to the SEPTA rail line.
- The waterline supported by the bridge will be relocated.
- The adjacent cantilevered catenary structures will be removed, new catenary supports will be constructed, and the catenary lines will be reprofiled.
- Installation of guide rail along the bridge approaches.
- Minor adjustments to driveways directly adjacent to Old Street Road are anticipated to tie existing driveways into the new profile.
Traffic will be detoured during the bridge removal and replacement.