Begin Main Content Area

Frequently Asked Safety Questions

When can my child ride in the front seat?

Safety advocates recommend that children under age 13 should remain in the back seat, away from the injury risk of a passenger-side airbag. For more information on the stages of safely restraining your children, visit our Four Steps for Kids on our Child Passenger Safety Traffic Information Center.

I received a traffic citation in another state, and the court is requiring me to complete a driver improvement course as a result of my conviction. Where can I go to take one of these courses?

Assuming that you received the traffic citation in another state and the court is requiring you to complete a driver improvement course as a result of your conviction, check with your local AAA office or with a private driving training school (you can find listings for these schools in the yellow pages) many of which offer such courses. If you received the citation in Pennsylvania, check with the court that ordered you to complete a driver improvement course in the county you received the citation. They should have a listing of driver improvement course locations where you can complete the required hours.

Where can I find information on driver education?

The Pennsylvania Department of Education currently maintains a listing of schools with approved driver education programs as well as private driver training schools. The information is available by county here.

Does PennDOT offer any winter driving classes?

PennDOT does not currently offer any classes related to driving in winter conditions. We encourage you to contact driver training schools in your area to see if they meet your needs. View PennDOT's Winter Driving Guide (PDF).

Where can I find information on Mature Driver Improvement Courses?

Four organizations offer PennDOT-approved Basic and Refresher Mature Driver Improvement courses at various locations throughout the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. In addition, under Pennsylvania law, drivers 55 and older are eligible to receive a 5 percent discount on their vehicle insurance by completing the Basic Mature Driver Improvement Course. In order to maintain the discount, individuals are required to take the Refresher Mature Driver Improvement Course every three years. Individuals should check with their insurance carrier for specifics of their program. More information on this course is available in our Older Driver section.

If I get a traffic citation in another state, will I get points on my Pennsylvania driver's license?

If you receive a traffic citation for speeding or a similar violation in another state, you will not receive points on your Pennsylvania driver's license. If you fail to respond to that citation, it could impact your license in Pennsylvania. If you receive a DUI in another state, you could face penalties in Pennsylvania. For more information on Pennsylvania's Point System, check out the Pennsylvania Points System Fact Sheet (PDF).

How do I report an aggressive or unsafe driver?

Pennsylvania does not have an aggressive driver reporting hotline like some of its neighboring states. If you encounter a driver who is exhibiting dangerous behaviors or who you suspect may be impaired, please dial 911 and the dispatcher will contact the local law enforcement agency.

How do I report a driver who may have a medical condition limiting his or her ability to safely operate a vehicle?

You can report a driver who you feel may be medically unfit to drive by writing to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, P.O. Box 68682, Harrisburg, PA 17106-8682. If you decide to report a driver to PennDOT, you must be able to provide specific details about the driver, i.e. full name, date of birth, home address or social security number. While your report will remain anonymous to the individual you are reporting, you must sign the report and provide your name and contact information to PennDOT in case there are follow-up questions.

Who do I contact about the legality of certain driving behaviors?

If you have questions about specific driving behaviors and traffic enforcement, please contact your local police department or the Pennsylvania State Police.