Amidst sunny skies and warm summer nights, PennDOT reminds all drivers to stay safe on the roads. When behind the wheel of a car – whether alone or with passengers – driving safely should always be a top priority. In the last year, 1,179 people died on our roadways. Even one life taken; is one too many.
Safety is everyone's responsibility, so follow these tips to keep you and others on the roadways safe:
- Don't drink and drive.
- Obey the speed limit; driving too fast gives you less time to react.
- Do not talk or text on your cell phone while driving. Texting is illegal.
- Use your turn signals so other drivers know what you are doing.
- Focus on the driving task, the road and the conditions around you.
- Don't eat or drink while driving (these are also distractions!)
- Adjust radio and climate controls before beginning your trip, have your passenger adjust the controls for you or adjust the controls when you are stopped.
- Plan ahead to know where you are going and get directions.
- Leave early and give yourself plenty of time to get to your destination.
- Expect the unexpected.
Remember, when behind the wheel, "Start SMART, Stay SMART."
S- SEAT belt on, seat adjusted.
M- MIRRORS adjusted and clear.
A- AIR conditioning, heating and defrost controls set.
R- RADIO and audio panel set.
T- THOROUGHLY check the area for traffic, people or objects.
S- Watch your SPEED.
M- Frequently check your MIRRORS.
A- AVOID distractions.
R- Remember the RULES of the road.
T- Give yourself enough TIME to reach your destination.
For more information and tips on how to keep our roads safe and help save lives, visit PennDOT's Driver Safety Page.