2023 PennDOT Disparity Study
The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) commissioned BBC Research & Consulting (BBC) to conduct a disparity study to assess whether small businesses as well as person of color (POC)-owned businesses; woman-owned businesses; veteran-owned businesses; and service-disabled veteran-owned businesses (referred to collectively as disadvantaged businesses) face any barriers as part of PennDOT’s contracting processes. Information from the study will help the agency evaluate and refine its efforts to encourage the participation of disadvantaged businesses in contracts and procurements and help inform any refinements PennDOT might make to the implementation of its supplier diversity programs, including the Federal Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) Program and PennDOT’s Diverse Business (DB) Program.
The disparity study will focus on construction, professional services, and non-professional services and supplies contracts and procurements PennDOT awarded between October 1, 2017 and September 30, 2022. The core purpose of the disparity study is to examine whether there are any disparities between:
- The percentage of contract and procurement dollars PennDOT awarded to small and disadvantaged businesses during the study period (utilization); and
- The percentage of contract dollars one might expect PennDOT to award to small businesses and disadvantaged businesses based on their availability to perform specific types and sizes of contracts and procurements (availability).
The study will also examine other information related to:
- Legal considerations surrounding the implementation of small business and disadvantaged business programs;
- Marketplace conditions throughout Pennsylvania for POCs, women, veterans, service-disabled veterans and POC-, woman-, veteran-, and service-disabled veteran-owned businesses;
- Contracting policies and business assistance programs PennDOT currently has in place; and
- Program measures for PennDOT to consider implementing to further encourage the participation of small and disadvantaged businesses in its work.
Study ScheduleBBC initiated the disparity study in August 2023 and will complete the study at the end of July 2024.
Ways to Participate
There are several ways in which you can participate in the 2023 PennDOT Disparity Study:
- Share your experiences working in Pennsylvania or with PennDOT by emailing the project team directly at PADisparityStudy@bbcresearch.com.
- Join us for a public meeting where you can learn more about the disparity study process, ask questions, and share insights about your experiences working in the marketplace:
- Respond to our requests to complete a business survey. If you represent a business located in Pennsylvania, you may be contacted as a part of the survey process. If you are contacted, please participate!
- Respond to our requests to complete an in-depth interview. If you represent a business located in Pennsylvania, you may be contacted as a part of the interview process. If you are contacted, please participate!
- Call us if you have any unanswered questions about the study. Find the project contacts on the sidebar of this page.